6/3/08

Rebellion - Minnie Style

So, this weekend was a blessed one. We have the siding mostly installed on the exterior of the house. It looks wonderful! We enjoyed company and one another. We enjoyed the peace of our little patch of paradise.

Sunday evening I realized that the plum trees have had quite a yield this year. We are tired of them, our neighbors are tired of them, even the deer seem to have slowed down their evening raids. So, I looked at Radar. At 30, age is finally showing on him. His back is swayed, his hips are showing and ribs are beginning to peak through what was once a very round belly. We experienced the same weight loss issues with Trusty when he got old. What was once a very overweight horse became a very thin and frail creature.

So, I decided to release Radar and allow him free access to the plums. It was a great sucess! He was thrilled! Minnie, however was less than thrilled at separation from her friend and mentor. Therefore, she sought to break the fence not once but three times. I have decided that her partial blindness has resulted in partial ability to sense pain. Electric fencing seldom stops her when she's on a mission.

Around 10:00, out of complete frustration, I grabbed the feed bucket once again and headed through the now open gate. Of course, they ALL followed me through the gate except Radar. He was still remembering the juicy plums. It took a little more coaxing and then he finally decided to go through the gate on his own without being lead by me. This meant he chose his own path. That path was directly over and THROUGH the ONLY piece of water line that was left exposed. It was left exposed to design me a new spicket to water the horses in the back field. Radar didn't care. Apparently, even with his weight loss, he was heavy enough to break the line. Water gushed everywhere. A new emergency developed as my husband began weighing the benefits of fixing the break in the dark, fully covered in mosquitoes or simply turning off ALL water until morning. He opted for option 2.

Yesterday morning, I was able to simply call in and get the day off. This option was better than going to work hair all askew from inability to wash it. I am useless without my morning shower. Most people use coffee as their morning wake me up. I use the warmth and gentle benefit of a shower and scented soaps. Not Monday though, I was stuck remembering it was my decision to allow Radar out. As my husband began assessing the needs to make a list of supplies for our hardware store run, Minnie was assessing again her desire to have more plums. This time Radar was behind her, not out in free roaming status. So, again, she broke the electric fence!

The entire morning became a seen from a country circus! First rounding up the horses again, second trying to fix the water line and third trying to figure out how to make the fence more secure. I installed more posts, adjusted the charger to deliver more charge and hoped for the best. As I watched, Minnie tested the fence for the final time, leaning on it ever so carefully until "POW" - success, the shock was enough to deter her for the time being.

Next- water line. My husband is quite skilled at fixing calamity wrought by livestock. Instead of patching the line, he went ahead and installed the new spicket and buried the line - two successes in one day. We had a bit of a challenge regarding what to do with the remaining two hours of daylight and opted to play in the garden a while. Paradise was restored.

I leave this entry with this. As my challenges of my Monday developed, I knew the Lord's loving kindness and tried to exercise a miniscule demonstration of the kindness and patience he shows me daily. In other words, I didn't shoot any of the horses.:

Thus says the Lord: "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, Let not the mighty man glory in his might, Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;But let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me, That I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the Lord (Jeremiah 9:23-24).

No comments: