6/24/08

Trails of Life

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell. - Matthew 5:29-30

I am a person who seeks to prove to myself and everyone else I can overcome. I take a challenge on like a bull by the horns and I don't ever let go until I have proven to that bull that I can put him to his knees. However, there are challenges out there that repeat themselves. Unlike most bulls who, once conquered will never come at you again, they just keep coming back at us. That's how the enemy works in our lives. That's how the enemy works in my life.

Jesus never meant for us to cut off our limbs or gouge out our eyes. He wanted us to understand that it's best to leave those things in our past. He wanted us to exercise our own will in situations that continue to tempt us or draw our reaction, and to remove them from our lives physically and mentally. Sometimes that's the most difficult thing to do.

This was a profound thought passed to me today as I have spent a bit of time reflecting on reasons I return to temptation or to places that are full of people unworthy of my notice. We are all worthy of love and attention, not all are worthy of my attention and respect. I think God sorts that all out in His time and I can't step in His place and try to force things. I have to trust that He is in control and I am not. I have to understand that returning to those places is perhaps against His will. He may not need to use me to fix it. He more than likely can do that on his own - of course he can!

So, this morning a great friend showed me a great piece of scripture which has taken my mind walking down a different trail from where it began. Instead of walking through the damp woods where the insects and reptiles are hanging out, I think He is going to lead me into the sunlight for a while. Who knows - maybe I will get a nice tan. Either way, I am pretty sure there will be a nice glow about me for a bit.

No comments: