8/4/08

Storm in the Distance

I have a friend in Houston who is in the path of the newest tropical threat. Had it not been for the internet, I would have never known her. Had it not been for her profound ability to forgive and communicate, I would have never known what a great friend she is! I am grateful that God puts these people in my path. Then I wonder if maybe I am the most destructive force in my own life.

I tend to go through life in judgment and reaction. I base my judgment on not enough and I react too much too often to what people do and say. Years of struggle have left me assuming the worst before presuming the best about people. My friend Mary is a perfect example of how wrong it is for me to be such a person.

I could selfishly write about a day in my life right now but Edouardo (what a strange way to spell it) has changed my perspective. I am grateful he's a minimal threat but I still worry about my friend and her family and property. She's smarter than me so I am sure she's as prepared as anyone can be when you suddenly realize there is a threat in the distance.

While we are suffering horrendous heat, she is preparing to suffer the onslaught of what most certainly is a tropical storm and could be a hurricane. She's right in the eye of the "cone of doom" as we call it. But Mary is strong and she's intelligent and I believe most of all, she's prepared.

Either way, I would ask that anyone lurking or reading would pause and say a prayer for Mary and her neighbors as this storm threatens her area. I know she will make it, but I pray it's not that much for her to have to endure. She has become the calm in my storms of life. I don't know what I would do without her.

3 comments:

"JEANNELLE" said...

Yes, Mary and her neighbors will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I like the song on your blog..."I Can Only Imagine".....I have that CD.

Saddlegait www.gottabeacountrygirl.blogspot.com said...

I should probably change that song. But, I still love to hear it. I love what it says to my heart. Another wonderfully talented group of people who just speak to my heart - I am so grateful for the talent in this world.

Pat - An Arkansas Stamper said...

Hi, Saddlegait

I am keeping all those coastal residents in my prayers as they are faced with Eduardo. I'll specifically add your friend, Mary.

BTW, I'm still getting the McAfee warning when I open your site.