9/9/08

Friendship

This is a reprint of something I once put somewhere else. I was talking to a friend today about this topic. Her comment was profound. ..."if all else fails, go to the instruction manual...the Bible" She is so right:

Friendship is something easily offered. Friends, however, real ones are hard to come by and true treasures.

An exploration of self:

The Bible says, "A man that hath friends must show himself friendly" (Prov. 18: 24). - I am often withdrawn and quiet.

Some are too distant to form friendships.

There is great value in friendship. "Two are better than one," wrote the wise man (Eccl. 4: 9). - I often prefer to take something on by myself.

A true friend will stand by, even in times of trouble. "A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity," the Bible says (Prov. 17: 17). - I want to be this person because I have friends who are ALREADY this person.

To the converse, the Bible speaks of false friends when it warns, "Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble is like a broken tooth, and a foot out of joint" (Prov. 25: 19).

There are some people that are not desired to be friends. For instance, "Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go" (Prov. 22: 24).

A true friend will tell us when we are wrong. Hear the Bible, "Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful" (Prov. 27: 6).

Genuine friends must be cherished and not forsaken (Prov. 27: 10).

Jesus is the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth (Jn. 3: 16; 1: 14). Yet, Jesus offers man his friendship. Jesus said, "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you" (Jn. 15: 14).

Jesus is the ultimate friend of man. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (Jn. 15: 13). Jesus tasted death for every man and shed his blood for the remission of man's sins (Heb. 2: 9; Matt. 26: 28).

Life can be a cruel experience. I am forever grateful to have found friends who are willing to experience it with me and work at minimizing the pains when they come my way. Those friends, are gemstones that shine brightly in my heart. Look past the rough edges, the blur of judgment for whatever reason, and you may just find the most valuable gem in your life in someone you least deserve.

No one matches the perfection Jesus represents to the world. But I have a few friends, just a very few, who come pretty close! I am glad they opened their hearts to me. I would have missed a lot otherwise.

3 comments:

Nancy M. said...

Great post!

Saddlegait www.gottabeacountrygirl.blogspot.com said...

Thank you so much! You are too sweet.

Jeannelle said...

Wonderful reminders about true friendship. And.....its OK to be quiet.....nothing wrong with that.....a true friend will draw you out, and then your quietness may be just what someone else needs.